Gabor Szabo will run a Test Automation Training Workshop at YAPC::NA 2012.
The workshop would be for the two days prior to the conference (Monday and Tuesday June 11 and 12).
Gabor Szabo will run a Test Automation Training Workshop.
The 2 days class will include both lectures and hands on exercises. Therefore the participants are requested to bring their own notebook machine to be able to enjoy the whole course.
The assumption is that people are familiar with Perl but have little or no experience in writing tests in Perl.
In the first 3/4 of the course we'll learn about the testing framework available in Perl (TAP and the Test::* modules). In last 1/4 we are going to learn about various tools to interact with external system (e.g. Databases, Web applications, Networking devices, CLI).
After the course the participants will be able to write test for their
applications. They will be able to setup a simple smoke testing
environment to run regression tests, collect the results,
and create nice reports.
During the class we'll be talking about unit, integration,
system and even acceptance testing with both white- and
black-box testing in mind.
- Introduction to testing, why, when, who and how ?
- Understanding the basic tasks of the QA engineer
- Introduction to TAP - the Test Anything Protocol
- Testing tools in Perl for testing Perl Modules (Test::Simple, Test::More)
- Common reporting framework (Test::Harness)
- Extending the testing framework (Test::Builder)
- Other testing modules including Test::Most, Test::Deep
- More from Test::* (e.g. Test::Warn, Test::Exception)
- Setting up continuous integration (smoke testing)
- Report integration with Smolder
- Command Line Interface (CLI) applications
- Testing network devices
- Testing Web application
- Examples for database testing
If time permits we'll also cover:
- Testing file-systems
- Microsoft Windows GUI applications